Saturday, October 15, 2005

Five Loaves in less than Two Weeks

Oy. Lots of Challah baking.
Rosh Hashanah. Shabbat. Kol Nidre eve. Breakfast. Shabbat.
I'm sick of Challah. Well, not sick of it, but I'm not baking any more until next Friday. Forget about a Sukkot Challah. So there.

A few things I noticed.
1) A long rise for the big big round Challah makes a real difference. I've tended in the past year or so to push my bread to rise in about 1/2 an hour. I've been leaving these big ones (and last night's shabbat braided one) for about an hour. It makes for a higher bread and a more even crumb.
2) You have to bake them for at least 45 minutes.
3) Round Challahs braid quicker. A saving grace. You just roll it out into a tube, tie it in a knot, smooth it out, and viola!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home